After photographing weddings and elopements in Boulder for the past seven years (and living here for the past fourteen), I’ve spent a lot of time looking for the best vacation rentals for my couples and for visiting friends and family. And Boulder has hundreds of listings to choose between, from large architectural masterpieces in the foothills with enough room for a big group, to simple guest houses downtown in walking distance to the best restaurants in town.
Please note that most vacation rentals do not allow hosting wedding ceremonies, reception dinners, or any other group events at the property without prior permission from the host. If you’re planning on having more people at the property than the maximum allowed in the listing, even if it’s just having a photographer or chef there for a few hours, you should always ask for permission before booking. Explain exactly what you’re planning, and be okay with getting a no. VRBO does have an “events allowed” search filter, so that’s a great place to look for properties that allow gatherings.
For elopements in Boulder, there are countless great locations in the mountains around Boulder, and for bigger events I have a guide to every venue in Boulder County here. The listings I’ve included in this post are ones I think would be good for my couples to stay in, or fun for me to photograph in, but I have not talked to the property owners, and no one has paid to be included in this guide.
I legally have to tell you that some of the links in this post are affiliate links and I get a small kickback if you book a stay from them. But I promise this post is way more about me recommending my favorite listings than it is about me making money. The photos are all from the public listings on vrbo and airbnb, and not my own unless it says so in the caption.
Best vacation rentals in Boulder that allow events
Blue Sky Ranch is located about 45 minutes west of Boulder, near Rollinsville and Nederland. This property is by far the best option for couples who want to rent a vacation home where they can stay with their closest friends and family, and have all wedding events at the same property. I photographed a proposal here all the way back in 2017, and have been wanting to go back for a small wedding ever since!
Best luxury vacation rentals in Boulder
If there’s one thing Boulder has in abundance, it’s luxury housing—and many of those homes make their way onto the rental platforms as well. If you’re looking for a home large enough for everyone to stay together, in a convenient location close to downtown Boulder, look at the neighborhoods around Mapleton Hill, anything south of Balsam St and east of Folsom Ave, the west side of University Hill, and around Chautauqua.
Best small vacation rentals in Boulder
for a couples getaway
Best vacation rentals in the mountains near Boulder
Best hotels in Boulder
Not sold on staying in a vacation rental? Here are my favorite hotels in Boulder!
- The St Julien Hotel & Spa – The St Julien is the perfect luxurious hotel in the heart of downtown Boulder for a romantic getaway.
- Colorado Chautauqua – The historic cottages at Chautauqua are perfect for elopements, because we can walk right over to the most iconic views in town.
- Hotel Boulderado – The Boulderado is a Boulder classic, with tons of historic charm in the perfect downtown location.
- Embassy Suites by Hilton – Embassy is Boulder’s newest hotel, with a hip, modern vibe and convenient location in central Boulder.
- Basecamp Boulder – Basecamp is a newly renovated motel with an adventure vibe in downtown Boulder.
- Boulder Adventure Lodge – The A-Lodge is located up Fourmile Canyon, a little further from downtown but right in the elements for an adventure vacation.